About Me

My photo
Hi im Niamh Love Music and my friends :) hope you like my blog :)

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Brooklyn - Main Theme and My Favourite Loving Relationship

For my English Class, I have read the book 'Brooklyn' by Colm Tóibín. There were Many themes in the book, but my favourite theme, and also the main theme of the novel, is the theme of Love. The book is set in the 1950's. Eilís, the main character, moves from Dublin to Brooklyn, in search of better job opportunities. She shows love towards both her family and people whom she has grown close to in Brooklyn, Especially Tony, an Italian-American living in Brooklyn who Eilís has fallen in love with.

My favourite loving relationship in this novel is Eilís' Relationship with her mother. Eilís and her mother seem to have a loving relationship, although, at times, her and her mother don't seem to talk. A scene where this is evident is when, after being home from Brooklyn a couple of weeks, Eilís only tells her then that she is married. She hadn't told her mother, even by letter, about the man whom she was to marry.When Eilís' mother heard the news, she was silent, but then told Eilís that she should go back to Brooklyn to be with her husband. It shows that there is a lack of communication between them both, but it also shows a loving connection between them both as Eilís' mother tells him to go back to Brooklyn to be her husband, even though now her mother will be left with no family at home, but, as she loves Eilís, she wants her to be happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment